Greeting of the Day!
Constraints Rules are the business rules that we define through Apttus CPQ while implementing the different use cases.
There are various types of Constraint rules:
- Inclusion Rules
- Exclusion Rules
- Validation Rules
- Recommendation Rules
- Replacement Rules
In this article, we will focus only on first on i.e. Inclusion Rule.
– These rules say that, if the customer is adding some product X in the cart, then another product Y should be auto included in the cart. This product may be free with product X or may be priced if product Y is complementary with product X.
In Simple terms: Include Product Y in Cart if product X is selected by the user from the product catalog.
Let’s see how it is defined in Salesforce System and what are the different part of it.
There are 3 main parts:
Let’s understand this with a use case
Airtel is selling its broadband internet connection to its users. This connection includes two types of services:
- Rule – Name and other specification
- Rule Condition – Rule execution criteria
- Action – Action which is to be performed if criteria evaluated to true.
- Installation – Setting up the Connection, wires, routers etc.
- Usage Plan – Plan which the user chooses.
Now, if a user needs an internet connection, and pick any of the plans, Installation
Service will be auto included in your order.
See the below screen:
Ok, now we got the requirement, let’s move forward and create the rule for this.
1. Open All tabs
2. Click on “Constraints Rule”.
3. Open the rule.
4. Create New Rule, fill following values.
5. Mark Active and Save the rule.
6. Now from the same page, click on Create Rule Condition button from related list.
7. Fill the following fields.
Name of Condition – If Any plan selected”
Product Scope: Product Group –
Since we are running this criterion based on multiple products i.e any of the product from this group is picked up in the catalog, the rule will execute.
Product Group: Airtel Plans
(If you don’t have any group created, see in the last of this article)
Check ‘Match in Options’.
Match in Primary lines – true
8. Save the record.
So, we have defined the criteria for running the rule.
Now we will define the action, which will execute If this criterion gets evaluated true.
9. Open the same rule and scroll down to related list “New Constraint Rule Action”.
10. Create New action and fill the following fields:
Name of Action: ‘Include Installation’
Message – >
de display on cart/catalog like “Y has been auto included on selection of X’
Action Type –
Action Intent –
Action Disposition –
Product – Including the 1 single product
Match in Option –
Match in Primary Lines-
Leave all other fields blank and save the record.
11. Rule is Ready, now Run the ‘Constraint Rule maintenance job’ to commit the changes in system (a tab is there, search for it)
Let’s test the rule now.
I am creating a quote and selecting a plan.
And below are the results. If I selected Plan 999, Installation is auto included in the cart.
Creation of Product Group:
- Open Product Group tab
- Create new Product Group. -> Save
- Add the Group Members
- Now use this group in Rules.