Salesforce Wave Analytics, also called Analytics Cloud
, is a business intelligence (BI) platform from Salesforce.com that is optimized for mobile access and data visualization.
The Wave mobile app allows users to work with large data files and create graphs, charts and other pictorial representations of data from them. According to Salesforce, the platform allows users to drill down into key parts of the business with only a few clicks and little or no training in data analysis.
Let’s try to understand the difference between Wave and Analytics Cloud:
: It’s a Search Based Technology, Columnar, schema free non relational data base, key value pairs and Inverted Index.
Analytics Cloud (Product)
: It’s a Cloud Based, Mobile first and Self Service Product.
Now, comes the point that when we already had the feature of Reports and Dashboards, then why this Analytics Cloud was introduced. How it’s different from Analytics Cloud and what all extra features and benefits does it provides to it’s users. Please keep reading to understand the features of Analytics Cloud:
: It analyze with Reports and Dashboards. We can only get the Reports build on Salesforce only data and It gives us the benefit of Real Time data.
: It works on Salesforce and External Data. It can be explored through lenses and Dashboards. Data can be updated on set schedule.
Below are the Analytics Cloud Components:
- Dataset: A Dataset is a specific view into a data source based on how you’ve customized it. It could be based on data pipeline or from an ETL Vendor.
- Lens: A Lens is a particular view into a dataset’s data where you do visualization and exploratory analysis
- Dashboard: Similar to Salesforce Dashboard, the Wave Dashboard is a combination of Report (Called as Lenses) with possible filers, links, images etc.
Analytics Cloud access could be given to the Users through Platform License, Permission Set License or Permissions.
Each User requires a license to use Analytics Cloud and the License Type determines what permissions can be assigned:
- Analytics Cloud Explorer: Users with this license type can explore data with Lenses and Dashboards. Can save Lenses and can also upload external CSV Data.
- Analytics Cloud Builder: Users with this license type can Create Analytics Cloud Apps, Save Lenses, Create and Edit Dashboards, Manage Analytics Cloud and can also upload External data.
: In the below figure you can see that how the dataset is created in Analytics cloud and is used to create the Lens and then the Dashboard:
: Once your lens is created, the information needs to be share to the correct audience. We need to keep some bullet pints in mind, when creating the dashboard:
- Prioritize widgets from top left to bottom right.
- Don’t overload the dashboard. Leave some spaces.
- Choose chart types based on data characteristics.
Separate Layouts doe Mobile are defined, as desktop is pixel based and also it’s a Grid Based System.
I hope this blog will help you to understand the Salesforce Wave Analytics Cloud.
Please comment for any feedback or queries.