In Salesforce, you’re going to have to do a data import at some point or the other.Importing data from an old system or importing a new list of leads (data outside of Salesforce into Salesforce) demands a feasible method to get around it.
It’s better to first consider all the available options before bringing hundreds or thousands of new records into your database.
There are several tools one can use to import data into Salesforce.Each tool comes with its own limitations, such as which objects one can import and how many records one can insert.
There are three main ways that are offered by Salesforce to import data into Salesforce.
- Data Import Wizard.
- Object Specific Import Wizards.
- Apex Data Loader.
I’ll be discussing DATA IMPORT WIZARD and APEX DATA LOADER in this blog.
Data Import Wizard
Data Import Wizard helps you import data in the Salesforce organization.The Data Import Wizard lets you import data in both standard objects and custom objects.
Data Import Wizard can be used when
Objects:- Leads, Accounts and Contacts, Custom Objects and Solutions.
Record Limit:- Less than or equal to 50,000.
De-duplication:- Matching on Name, Email and Salesforce ID.
- Login into Salesforce.
- From Setup, enter “Data Import Wizard” in the Quick Find box, then select Data Import Wizard. Click on Launch Wizard button.
- Select the type of data that you want to import. Click on Standard Objects tab to import accounts, contacts, leads or Click on Custom Objects to import custom objects.
- Select the operation you need to perform- To add new records to Salesforce, update existing records, or add new records and update existing ones. Specify the matching and other criteria as required.
- Select the data file you want to import data from.
- Click Next.
- The screen navigated to a page where you can map the data fields in the CSV file to Salesforce data fields.
- Click Map to the left of each unmapped field.
- Choose the Salesforce fields you want to map to and click Map.
- To change the mappings, click Change to the left of mapped field, then select the Salesforce fields you want to map to and click Map.
- This is how one can import data using DATA IMPORT WIZARD.
APEX DATA LOADER
INSERT :-It’s a simple graphical tool that helps you import data into the salesforce.
EXTRACT :-It can also be used to extract data from database objects.
DELETE :-One can perform bulk deletions by exporting the Id fields for the data you wish to delete and using that source to specify deletions through the DATA LOADER.
UPSERT :–UPDATING an existing record by INSERTING a new record.
UPDATE :-One can UPDATE the existing records.
REQUIREMENT:-DATA LOADER requires the use of the Force.com API.
If your Salesforce edition allows the use of the API (Enterprise, Unlimited and Developer Editions), you can download the Data Loader from the Setup menu, under Administration – Data Management.
APEX DATA LOADER can be used for:
Objects:- All Standard and Custom Objects.
Record Limit:- Varies by the wizard.
De-duplication:– Matching on Name, Email and Salesforce ID.
Open the Data Loader.
- Click Insert, Update, Upsert, Delete or Hard Delete. These commands can also be found in the File menu.
- Enter your Salesforce username and password. Click Login to log in. After your login completes successfully, click Next. (Until you logout or close the program, you are not asked to log in again.)
- If your organization restricts IP addresses, logins from untrusted IPs are blocked until they’re activated. Salesforce automatically sends you an activation email that you can use to log in. The email contains a security token that you must add to the end of your password. For example, if your password is mypassword, and your security token is XXXXXXXXXX, you must enter mypasswordXXXXXXXXXX to log in.
- Choose an object. For example, if you are inserting Account records, select Account. If your object name does not display in the default list, check Show all objects to see a complete list of the objects that you can access. The objects are listed by localized label name, with developer name noted in parentheses. Click Browse… to select your CSV file. For example, if you are inserting Account records, you could specify a CSV file named insert accounts.csv containing a Name column for the names of the new accounts.
- Click Next. After the object and CSV file are initialized, click OK.
Similarly, One can UPDATE, UPSERT and DELETE using DATA LOADER.